Tuesday, April 12, 2011

pond fun.


My boys love casting. You read right. Casting, not fishing. They don't really want to catch fish. They don't like trying to pull hooks out of mouths and tossing fish back...


But they love heading out to ponds every single spring as soon as the ice has melted and using their fishing poles. And the best part is of course the process, the ritual.


They really enjoy going out to the pond on a sunny day to listen to frogs, cast the line and reel it in (we use practice casting weights, not hooks), see who can go farthest, who has the best aim. Watch birds. Look at the clouds. Feel the breeze. Try to figure out what all the plants are. Sit in the grass and feel the warm sunshine. See if they can find any garter snakes. Have a picnic.


They like to find new ponds or streams. Explore the water to see what is living in there (their easter baskets will have water testing kits - can't wait!!). They call themselves the "litter patrol" and clean up whatever paper/plastic we find when we visit our favorite spots. It is all such a nice way to spend a sunny spring day. It isn't about the catching, it is about the fishing.


Many men go fishing all of their lives without
knowing that it is not fish they are after.

~Henry David Thoreau


.

13 comments:

learn oil painting said...

Indeed, "casting" seems fun! There are a number of ways to "cast" as well. Your boys are adorable. I have a painting blog. If you aren't doing anything you could drop by anytime. Enjoy casting!

Sherry Gann said...

I love it! :)

And what a great quote.

Candace said...

I love this. One of my sisters and I used to go fishing all the time using the craziest, weirdest lures we could find to make sure we didn't actually catch any fish. Great memories.

Andrea said...

You have the best Thoreau quotes. My oldest has been out fishing as well, but he is really in to catching the fish! Great pictures!!

Shady Lady said...

I absolutely love that!! So cool! Princess hasn't been fishing yet, but if it doesn't go well perhaps we'll try casting.

Carrie said...

I love this... sounds like a wonderful sunny day activity. :) I think we shall try our hand at casting as well.. sounds rather relaxing. :) (your photos are always so inviting, Denise. :) )

MamaLou said...

My son took the hook off and casted across the strawberry patch today...."Look! Mummy! Look how far I got it!!"

Melissa said...

This sounds so lovely! It brings back fond memories of "fishing" in the creek with my sister with our homemade poles and twist-tie hooks. Funny that we never caught anything...

Tara said...

I'm with your boys - no pulling fish off hooks - I leave that to my thoughtful and devoted husband...LOL.

Your two guys at the pond pics are stunning! So glad they enjoy themselves and help to keep things tidy :)

Stephanie said...

We out in the world appreciate your boys picking up! :)

Eric does that, too - he always brings home pocketsful of trash in his fishin' vest. :)

Hallelujah for Spring and new life and activities, hmm?

Flo said...

Woo Hoo for warm days, water and outdoor fun! I really like casting, too. Feeling the release of the line and how it sails through the air is hypnotic.

Frogcreek said...

I love all kinds of fishing. The fish kind, the casting kind, the just being by the water kind. Loved seeing it through your eyes!

Pond Supplies said...

Oh wow! love this picture of your children. They are trying to catch the fish. Very nice work in small pond..!