Thursday, July 03, 2008

Garden...


Even after all of the rain and flooding and hail the garden is doing well! We have been harvesting kohlrabi, swiss chard, radishes, and so many herbs. I have only had a few disappointments with some things in the beds washing away or not growing (peas?? hellooooo?). I have been trying to keep up with succession planting wherever we harvest things so that we can continue later in the year. It is nice to see all of the flowers spread throughout the garden areas too!


We have a very small yard and use it intensely (both for garden and play), and whenever I think I am not growing enough, I look at my list - and either reassure myself it is enough for now, or plan where I could fit one.more.pot.


::What is Growing In the Garden::

throughout beds::
-raspberry canes
-small blueberry bush
-2 red currant bushes
-kohlrabi
-swiss chard
-cabbage (3 types)
-peppers (several types)
-tomatoes (several types)
-lemon balm
-borage
-tarragon
-mint
-brussel sprouts
-parsley
-butternut squash
-pumpkin (3 types)




in the plot::
-radishes
-beets
-carrots
-beans
-brussel sprouts
-peppers (several types)
-onions
-cucumber
-tomato
-pumpkin (vines into bushes)




in pots::
-lettuce
-mache
-oregano
-basil (several types)
-peppers (several types)
-tomatoes (several types)
-cucumbers
-mixed greens
-fennel
-dill
-lemon verbena
-sage (several types)
-rosemary
-marjoram
-thyme (several types)


July should be a great month for lots of fresh veggies from the garden!

22 comments:

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

what a productive garden

and great photos

Jen

Maymomvt said...

Your garden always amazes me. I look forward to the day our yard is so cultivated!

Lisa Anne said...

That is an amazing list, I really think urban/suburban farming is the most sustainable way to go.

caliconurse said...

Your garden looks great! I too am gardening in a pretty small space. I don't have as much as you but plan to expand even more next year. I enjoy reading your blog a lot and I've gotten some great ideas. Thanks!

Michelle said...

Wow, that is a lot of produce in a small space. Great job Denise.

Anet said...

Fantastic! I love all that you have in a small space. I have a small space also and would love to get that much planted. Maybe next year!

dawn klinge said...

It's pretty amazing what you manage to grow in such a small space. I'm very inspired and have much bigger goals for what I want to grow next year as a result of reading your blog.

*the mama said...

isn't watching the garden grow and prosper one of the most amazing things...i truly am in love...

i often say i love my garden almost as much as my kiddos :)

your photos are beautiful,

A

http://www.rosey-eyes.blogspot.com

Sharon said...

Wow. I'm so jealous. I miss gardening so much. We have no shortage of space just very dense forest so that no one spot gets enough sun to support anything and I don't want to cut any......
Any ways, your garden and photos are beautiful!!!

Jessica said...

You are going to have some yummy meals coming up with all those fruits and veggies growing!

earthmama said...

Your pictures are breathtaking! So vivid and artistic...you tell an incredible tale through your lense! What an eye!

Jodi Anderson said...

I love reading what is in other's gardens. I would really like to add raspberry canes. We need to redesign the yard (as well as do some addition-type work to the house), and I'd like to have less lawn, and more planting and entertainent space.

Thanks for sharing. Fun post.

Anonymous said...

We've just done a renovation on our house and our yard is a big pile of mud and debris, but next summer I will have a garden! Your blog is very inspiring!

Anonymous said...

I bet you'd like Greenthumbr.com. It's a site for gardeners to talk about their gardens, share ideas, etc. I'm a novice gardener, and I've learned a lot from the folks there.

Yarrow said...

How beautiful! Your yard and garden are lovely. Thank you for sharing and congrats on such a nice future harcest. Blessings.

Nikki said...

Hi Denise!

I'm also finding gardening sooooo exciting. As you know, this is my first attempt. I now have an empty spot where the radishes were. I'm sure I can plant some more but what else do you suggest would be good to get started now?

Nikki

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Your garden is lovely!
I am amazed at how well it has done given your weather this spring and early summer.

Also, I really liked the crafts in the post below. I am going to try it myself, as I really like the necklaces.

Tara said...

Your garden is just beautiful. As someone who is working to incorporate more useful (edible) plantings on a small city lot, I appreciate your detailed list. This year we are removing duplicate perennials, clearing space, getting the compost systems going and organizing. Next year we hope to supplement our CSA. More than anything, I am looking forward to a season of NO GROCERY STORE!

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise,

I've been meaning to tell you for a while how inspiring your blog is (I just started). My friend Steph (stephs.com) has been encouraging me to do it for years. Any how I have a three year old boy and a "home farm" too, so when you took the time to document your plants I thought perhaps this was my time to chime in - YaY! Blessings + Alis

denise said...

Thanks everyone!

And, so nice to see new 'faces' so to speak. I love comments. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah - peas! One variety didn't even sprout and the other just "disappeared" sometime in the past week. ??????? I was thinking maybe I was crazy and they were never there. :)

Jenn said...

holy moly - what a list. way to go on the plentiful garden, plot, and pots. drat that i had to move right in the middle of planting our own big garden. i had such big dreams (and many of the same veggies on my list). looking forward to hearing what wonderful things you do come harvest time.