Friday, April 18, 2008

Earth Day Bags.


We tried making freezer paper stencils recently, and it was one of those active involved small child crafting disasters. You know - we all have them - realizing that it was not working, but unable to stop the little fingers in the midst of happily creating...something...blob-like. SO, when the bag idea came up as one of our leading up to Earth Day projects, well, I decided to keep it simple (I'll save the freezer paper projects for me!).

The boys both have handmade bags for carrying things and use them all the time. But in talking and reading our Earth Day themed books, they asked why they didn't also have their own shopping bags. They know we carry ours along to the store, but they shop too (A said for things like toothbrushes and snacks!), and they need bags! So, we found plain canvas bags - small enough for kids, but yet big enough to carry a few things. We also picked up a few iron on patches.


I first sewed a border on the bags to make them look a little nicer. The boys then chose their sayings. We went over and over all of the possibilities of what the bags could say. It was important that they chose their OWN sayings, so my suggestions such as "Go Green" and "Earth Day Every Day" were enthusiastically rejected! :) They started with ideas such as "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Take Care of the Planet", and "I have to live here when I grow up so take care of it and be responsible!" - and we streamlined those down into words that fit on the bags (and for which we had the letters). They ended up with "Take Care" and "It's My Future". Perfect!


We then ironed on the letters and earth and we have bags! The boys loved peeling off those transfers to see the images underneath. They are very proud of their bags and are sleeping with them next to their beds tonight. Sweet boys.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome bags!

Tara said...

These are great Denise- and I love that the boys chose their own sayings.
Well Done!!

dawn klinge said...

What a fun way to celebrate Earth day. Those bags are a terrific idea. They turned out so cute.

Lisa Anne said...

You guys are awesome! Its so important to teach children these values. they understand all the reasons to take care of the Earth so easily, I wish grown-ups could understand such simple concepts as taking care of the planet. You are always doing such wonderful fun things together, I wish I could come over and play.

Michelle said...

What a great idea. You have so many of them. Those bags look great. How can we place an order?

Stephanie said...

These are super cute!

I need to start remembering my cloth bags all the time...not too good at this. My friend just suggested leaving them on the FRONT SEAT of the van so I'm going to try that. :)

Anyways, adorable bags and boys.

tiff said...

These are FANTASTIC...

We are going to give the freezer paper stencil project a go next week...but hmmm I might have to have some of these iron ons on the side.

I really wanted to see those wonderfully long sentences on the bags...giggle :)

Anet said...

I love these! Their very own shopping bags, what clever boys!

denise said...

Tiff - Your boys are older and I bet the freezer paper stencils will be great for them. My boys just decided the fabric paint freehand was MUCH better than painting in those little cutout areas... ;P I mean, who wants to only paint in the lines - and that takes only like 15 seconds, and they really wanted to do MORE!!!!! ha ha.

mamaofsugarpies said...

What a wonderful and creatively "green" idea. My little ones would love this project. We just might have to make some this weekend!

Stacy

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

very nice bags
Jen

Lisa Zahn said...

Beautiful bags! I love hearing that not all craft projects go well, too. Certainly at my house that's the way things go sometimes...

Tammy said...

Oh wow. Those are amazing. What a fabulous idea. I just love the colors and the iron on patches.

saskia said...

love it!

Ayla said...

what a great idea! happy earth day everyone!

Claudia - La Casa nella Prateria said...

I love them!

Lisa said...

These are so cool and what sweet little men you have!!

Hi! said...

What a wonderful way to jazz up and personalize plain canvas bags. I love how the boys kept them at their bedsides, so sweet.